Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
boot problem

Boot problem
I'm working on trying to fix my Dell XPS 410. I had a problem with the computer crashing often, but when I would reboot everything would come up as normal on the screen. I could work again on the computer until it would crash again and then I would have to do the reboot process again.
Here is what I have done to try to fix the problem and what my problem is now.
Thinking it my be a hard Dive issue, I put in a new hard Drive.
Booted up the computer OKAY but still had the crashing problem.
So, I replaced the mother board,
And installed a different CPU. I went from a 1.87Ghz Intel core 2 6300 to a 2.40Ghz Intel core 2 E6600.
Powered up -- OKAY -- That is to say the fans turned on and the disk drive operated.
I tried to boot the computer but only got a blank screen.
I thought the problem might be with the CMOS so I cleared the CMOS.
The power up results were still same. Still just a blank screen.
So, in my frustration, I removed the newly installed motherboard and reinstalled the original motherboard thinking I should go back to square one and at least get the computer up and running again.
I did put the upgraded CPU in the original motherboard however.
Tried to boot up the computer and got the black screen again.
So now I thought it might just be that the 2.40Ghz CPU was causing the black screen problem.
I went back in and took out the 2.40 and put the 1.87 CPU back in place.
Booted, got the DELL logo screen and thought everything would be back to normal. Not to be.
I get a black screen with the following information displayed:

Serial ATA ANCI BIOS, Version iSrc 1.82.23 00012006
Copyright © 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
** This version supports only Hard Disk and CDROM drives**

Controller Bus#00, Device#1F , Function#02 : 02 Ports, 02 Devices
port-00: Hard Disk, WDC WD2500JS-98MHB0
   (this drive is controlled by the RAID BIOS)
 Port-01: CDROM, HL-DT-ST DVD GH24NSC0
ANCI BIOS Installed
Intel® Matrix Storage Manager option Rom v6.0.0.1022 ICH8R
Copyright© 2003-06 Intel Corporation. All rights Reserved.

Floppy Diskette seek failure
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

I get no response when I strike either the F1 or F2 keys.
The computer just won't boot to the desktop. But, I can at least get to the F12 screen and can make changes to the boot sequence which is:

1. Onboard or USB CD ROM Drive
2. WDC WD2500JS-98MHB0
3. Onboard or USB Floppy Drive (not present)
4. USB Device (not present)
5. Onboard SATA Hard Drive (not present)
6. Onboard Network Controller (not present)

Can anybody out there give me some idea as to what I might be missing here, or what action I need to take to get the computer back on the right track.

Thanks for any help I can get.
(03-05-2017, 04:56 PM)abit2slo Wrote:
Quote:I'm working on trying to fix my Dell XPS 410. I had a problem with the computer crashing often, but when I would reboot everything would come up as normal on the screen. I could work again on the computer until it would crash again and then I would have to do the reboot process again.
And installed a different CPU. I went from a 1.87Ghz Intel core 2 6300 to a 2.40Ghz Intel core 2 E6600.  
Powered up -- OKAY -- That is to say the fans turned on and the disk drive operated.
So, in my frustration, I removed the newly installed motherboard and reinstalled the original motherboard thinking I should go back to square one and at least get the computer up and running again.
So now I thought it might just be that the 2.40Ghz CPU was causing the black screen problem.
Booted, got the DELL logo screen and thought everything would be back to normal. Not to be.

ANCI BIOS Installed

The computer just won't boot to the desktop. But, I can at least get to the F12 screen and can make changes to the boot sequence which is:

2. WDC WD2500JS-98MHB0

Can anybody out there give me some idea as to what I might be missing here, or what action I need to take to get the computer back on the right track.

Hi I hope I can help  a little bit.

First how many hard disk drive do you have in the computer? Did you ever at any point set up a raid configuration where you have more than one hard drive with mirroring, or raid setup.
Can you get into the bios setup menu at all. That will help a lot. If you can, try getting in there and take a picture of all of the settings and upload them on here or an external picture hosting site like http://imgur.com/ so that I can look at the BIOS settings. As of right now it sound like your old Hard Drive was setup as a RAID configuration and it failed. I had the same thing happen on my old desktop and I was unable to recover or rebuild the array. Also can you specify the exact model of the motherboard.
(03-06-2017, 08:16 AM)trentenmarschel Wrote:
Quote:I'm working on trying to fix my Dell XPS 410. I had a problem with the computer crashing often, but when I would reboot everything would come up as normal on the screen. I could work again on the computer until it would crash again and then I would have to do the reboot process again.

ANCI BIOS Installed

2. WDC WD2500JS-98MHB0

First how many hard disk drive do you have in the computer? Did you ever at any point set up a raid configuration where you have more than one hard drive with mirroring, or raid setup.
Can you get into the bios setup menu at all. That will help a lot. If you can, try getting in there and take a picture of all of the settings and upload them on here or an external picture hosting site like http://imgur.com/ so that I can look at the BIOS settings. As of right now it sound like your old Hard Drive was setup as a RAID configuration and it failed. I had the same thing happen on my old desktop and I was unable to recover or rebuild the array. Also can you specify the exact model of the motherboard.
I was not able to get to the BIOS settings, but I was able to access the settings that allowed me to reset the computer system to it's default settings. That worked. I am now back to square one. I can bring up my computer in all it's glory. BUT!!!!!!!, as it turns out I still cave the crashing problem. I'll try to attach a picture of my screen showing the crash info. Maybe you can help me figure this thing out.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-06-2017, 04:57 PM)abit2slo Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 08:16 AM)trentenmarschel Wrote:

ANCI BIOS Installed

2. WDC WD2500JS-98MHB0

I was not able to get to the BIOS settings, but I was able to access the settings that allowed me to reset the computer system to it's default settings. That worked. I am now back to square one. I can bring up my computer in all it's glory. BUT!!!!!!!, as it turns out I still cave the crashing problem. I'll try to attach a picture of my screen showing the crash info. Maybe you can help me figure this thing out.

How many hard disk drives do you have installed in the computer? Do you have access to a recovery disk that you can use to format and reinstall windows on the computer? I think the problem is that it still thinks you are trying to run a RAID configuration, but that failed, so first the BIOS needs to be set to a non raid setup, then you need to format the single hard drive and reinstall windows on it. This is a big problem with using built in motherboard raid is that they are hard to rebuild when something goes wrong. You will have to find the user manual online for your motherboard to find the settings to disable the RAID setup. There might also be a reset button on the motherboard to clear the RAID settings. But once that is cleared the hard drive needs to be reformatted. That error is basically saying it can't read the windows partition because RAID splits that data up across several hard drives.
I have attached a couple links to some pdf files for your computer. Look in there to clear the CMOS using the jumper, and then you need to reformat and reinstall the same version of whatever operating system (I assume Windows on there).  Use a backup/ restore disc if you have one. If not then you need to find and download and burn the same version of windows and use the product key on the sticker on the back or side of your computer.

first link

second link
Thanks much. I'll check to see if I have any disks that might help. I'll let you know how it all works out.
I only have one one hard drive installed. Never installed two. I do have what I think are the disks necessary to reinstall the OS. But!!! can I remove my current hard drive, replace it with a new hard drive, and then start from square one with a new installation rather than reformating my current hard drive? Would that create other issues with the motherboard? Huh
(03-08-2017, 11:32 AM)abit2slo Wrote: I only have one one hard drive installed. Never installed two. I do have what I think are the disks necessary to reinstall the OS. But!!! can I remove my current hard drive, replace it with a new hard drive, and then start from square one with a new installation rather than reformating my current hard drive? Would that create other issues with the motherboard? Huh

Yea, that's totally fine. Just make sure you have the Raid settings disabled in the BIOS, or it will try to set up the new hard drive as a Raid.
The boot problem I'm having with my dell XPS 410 computers is starting to get interesting.

First, let me say that I'm dealing with 2 separate computers and in both of these computers I have recently installed new motherboards. Motherboards which I bought from the same supplier  That's 2 new working motherboards from the same supplier.

Now here is the problem:

In both cases, when I boot up the computer, in order to continue to the desk top, I am prompted to hit the F1 key to continue or F2 key to run the setup utility.
The reason being that the boot sequence has failed because of: FLOPPY DISKETTE SEEK FAILURE.

This problem has only come about since replacing the motherboards.

I have checked (in the setup utilities) the boot sequence and there is no provision for anything having to do with a Floppy diskette.

What the heck am I dealing with here or what am I missing. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Confused
Thanks much,

Don K.
(08-18-2017, 12:51 PM)abit2slo Wrote: The boot problem I'm having with my dell XPS 410 computers is starting to get interesting.

First, let me say that I'm dealing with 2 separate computers and   in both of these computers I have recently installed new motherboards. Motherboards which I bought from the same supplier  That's 2 new working motherboards from the same supplier.

Now here is the problem:

In both cases, when I boot up the computer, in order to continue to the desk top, I am prompted to hit the F1 key to continue or F2 key to run the setup utility.
The reason being that the boot sequence has failed because of: FLOPPY DISKETTE SEEK FAILURE.

This problem has only come about since replacing the motherboards.

I have checked (in the setup utilities) the boot sequence and there is no provision for anything having to do with a Floppy diskette.

What the heck am I dealing with here or what am I missing. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Confused
Thanks much,

Don K.

Do you still only have 1 hard drive in there? From the original post, it still looks like it is trying to boot to a RAID configuration. Try disabling all raid settings in the bios, then unplug the optical disc drive, and DOUBLE check to make sure floppy drive of any sort is not set to boot, or at the very least make it the last in the boot order, and make HDD first (After you disable RAID). Did you reinstall the OS on the HDD? If it was set up for RAID before, you will probably have to do a quick format on the drive.