Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
amber blinking light

Amber blinking light
I have tried just about everything I can think of in trying to resolve my inability to get my computer up and running. New mother board (three different ones) new CPU (three different ones) and new power supply. I still just get a blinking amber light at the startup button when ever I try to power up the computer. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be the problem. I'm working with a XPS 410 and was running Windows 8. I know for sure that the power supply is working.
Thanks for any help I can get.
Don K.
(08-06-2017, 11:39 AM)abit2slo Wrote: I have tried just about everything I can think of in trying to resolve my inability to get my computer up and running. New mother board (three different ones) new CPU (three different ones) and new power supply. I still just get a blinking amber light at the startup button when ever I try to power up the computer. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be the problem. I'm working with a XPS 410 and was running Windows 8. I know for sure that the power supply is working.
Don K.

What motherboard did you put in there? Are you able to even reach a BIOS screen? Have you checked the pins that connect the power button to the motherboard? Do you know if the motherboard is running regular BIOS or UEFI?
(08-06-2017, 11:39 AM)abit2slo Wrote: I have tried just about everything I can think of in trying to resolve my inability to get my computer up and running. New mother board (three different ones) new CPU (three different ones) and new power supply. I still just get a blinking amber light at the startup button when ever I try to power up the computer. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be the problem. I'm working with a XPS 410 and was running Windows 8. I know for sure that the power supply is working.
Don K.

I just looked into that model a little more. It seems you've replaced everything but the RAM, and graphics card if it doesn't have one built in to the motherboard. Assuming you replaced it with a stock motherboard and CPU, I would look into the RAM. How much memory do you currently have installed? Make sure you have the correct DDR2 RAM installed in the correct channels according to the manual. I will attach that to this post. On the pdf file please refer to page 82 where it details the RAM channel configurations. If that doesn't fix the issue, I would swap the graphics card for another one to make sure that isn't the issue. Hopefully you get it figured out.

Dell XPS 410 Owners manual:
.pdf   xps-410_owner's manual_en-us.pdf (Size: 3.78 MB / Downloads: 245)
(08-11-2017, 09:01 AM)trentenmarschel Wrote:
Don K.

I just looked into that model a little more. It seems you've replaced everything but the RAM, and graphics card if it doesn't have one built in to the motherboard. Assuming you replaced it with a stock motherboard and CPU, I would look into the RAM. How much memory do you currently have installed? Make sure you have the correct DDR2 RAM installed in the correct channels according to the manual. I will attach that to this post. On the pdf file please refer to page 82 where it details the RAM channel configurations. If that doesn't fix the issue, I would swap the graphics card for another one to make sure that isn't the issue. Hopefully you get it figured out.

Dell XPS 410 Owners manual:
It seems that the video card was the problem. Changed it out and the computer came alive again. Great!!!.
You would like to check that RAM is connected to motherboard properly. After that, start system.